Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It Is Done

Today I have been exposed to a great deal of excellent media. I think I'll share it!

First, on a tip-off from BoingBoing, I took a listen to Stephen Fry's Podgram on Language. It was truly excellent.  I was vaguely aware of who Stephen Fry was before this point, but this 32 minute rant on linguistic padantary has actually made me shake my head and realign my thoughts about the whole business. I dare say I'm a better man because of it, and I recommend everyone take a listen.

Then there was an article in the New Yorker about how to spot a good teacher - or rather, how you can't before they're hired. I'm not one to peruse the New Yorker normally, but the style of the writing was so excellent and gripping I couldn't set it aside. It even goes into sport correlaries - NFL ones at that - but it still remained gripping through and through. Another truly excellent read.

Then I took a gander at the 37 Signals blog, where they discuss how a successful business can follow pure enthusiasm and belief rather than thought and business plans. An interesting take on the industry, I suppose - a refreshing new perspective.

And after all that reading, I sat down and opened up The Onion. I found an article that was short, to the point, and had an excellent punchline. But immediately following 3 masterpieces of thought and discussion it kind of paled. Funny how your current perspective and mindset can ruin things you normally enjoy.

I still persist the punchline is excellent, though.

My old house is now officially moved-out-of and the cleaning crew goes in tomorrow. Things should be squared away and finalized by the weekend, in terms of moving-out-inspections and damage deposits. Excited to get that slice of life put behind me so I can start moving on.

Most excitingly though - my hot pink gaming laptop arrived today. I took some pictures of it - but none that would be quality enough to post here. I'll get on making my camera work for the masses shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I read that New Yorker article a few weeks ago. Malcolm Gladwell is the shit.

    Oh, and not to be a pEdant, but... aw, nevermind.

    ReplyDelete