Monday, April 27, 2009

7 Days, 6 Views

Space Squid has been sitting on FlashGameLicense.com for a week now, and it's been viewed by publishers 6 times.

And only one of them actually played the game - and they never beat (or lost) a level. I have no feedback and no other indication of any slight interest whatsoever. FGL even lists some viewing stats - two of the 6 visitors looked at my page for a total of 4 seconds.

One publisher - AddictingGames - viewed my game for 6 hours but never ended up clicking the play button. I think that's a telling tale - they just left the browser window open and FGL claims it as "interest." Very disappointing.

I'm really really happy I set up my own database so I could track what kind of gameplay exposure my potential buyers are seeing - because now I can see that FlashGameLicense might not be the be-all solution I hoped it would.

However, I'm not completely giving up on them. It might be because my game is listed (as of today) at "97% complete" - maybe some publishers only view 100% complete games? Maybe my thumbnail image isn't the best (it was from v.30 something), or maybe my description could use more marketing magic?

The primary turn-off point for Space Squid might be the Menu. It looks ugly and cluttered. The only thing I like about it is the title, and even then the red underline doesn't quite fit. And a bad impression right from the menu might turn some people right off.

So here's the plan for the last 4 days of this project:
  • Redesigning the menu from scratch with better readable fonts.
  • Make or find new vector keyboard icons - the current ones are crap.
  • Add spacebar to the controls list.
  • Take a suite of screenshots and work on a solid game description.
  • Return the destroy-menu  code and implement the new focus code (stage.focus=this; - argh I wish I knew it was this simple! I think everyone that was trying to help me with the two-clicks-required-bug were overlooking the obvious and trying to think of what the larger problem was)
  • Redesign or recolor the cyan bounding box for the fishtank
  • Change the color of the boost bar - because yellow doesn't appear anywhere else in the game
  • Try a few color changes for the "Level/Score" display on the Hud.
  • Get stroke working on the countdown timer and score results so they better stand out from the background.
  • Fix the text input boxes on the main menu so they don't act and look retarded
  • "Anonymous" shouldn't get the score details in the victory/gameover boxes.
  • Put a border on the game so the squid doesn't fly off the screen and clip mysteriously
  • Finalize the highscore display and get it formatted nicely on the page
  • The victory/gameover boxes should appear on top of the obstacles and water, for clarity
  • Add descriptions for all the play modes (maybe popup?)
  • Make the website not scroll on a standard resolution such as my laptop
  • Shop the game around in a mass-email spam
  • Throw a launch party. Considering it's 4 days away that's probably not going to end up being too big. I really should plan it out better.
Ryan Madsen, who has been making several awesome suggestions for the game since I started writing about it here, just finished a Magic 8Ball responder for Twitter. If you ask a standard 8ball question he'll randomly pick it up and respond to you! Check him out:

or his responses:

(good for some random fun)

1 comment:

  1. In case you want to check out the FlashGameLicense.com server stats from the high score view,

    http://www.space-squid.com/highscores.php?name=Anonymous&world=flashgamelicense.com&submit=search

    ReplyDelete