Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tethered Planets

It took me much too long, but I was able to make an incremental build today that made me way too excited.

It's officially titled "Build #4." I figured out how to make some distance joints in Box2D and tethered my planets down. On the backend I have "Pin" objects and "Planet" objects with easily callable functions, for ease of level creation. I also have a very sparsely populated "BuildSquid" function which just draws a circle. Can't wait to make that a proper squid with waggling tentacles all over the place.

The goal of the game so far is to get the little squid ball from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen. The next big deal I'll have to tackle is the control mechanism to allow you to do so. Right now you can just drag and drop him to the right side. I'll have to make it so you can set a launch vector and go from there.

I'm having some trouble deciding on a sense of scale. I'm coding all of this in a full screen flash window. Maybe I should decide on some dimensions early on and really nail down the size of my squid and planet objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment