Saturday, April 18, 2009

Boost and Noise

After playing for a few days (with the help of my beta testers), I quickly found out that nobody could beat anything past level 19 - that is, if you could ever defeat level 17. See the high scores here.

Here I was hoping someone would make it near the 30s somewhere...

I've decided to change the difficulty curve to aid this problem - and so we have Build 36 of Space Squid:
  • Instead of a minimum 5 seconds per star, I've increased the value to 8 seconds per star. This should allow entry into the 20+ to 30+ levels.
  • The 10-second-per-star bonus that degraded down to level 20 now extends to level 30, further making the 20s easier. Expect the hardest levels to be the late 20s to early 30s.
  • To aid in those epic jumps to the high stars in levels 16+, there is now a boost button! The boost goes *very* quickly but is refilled slightly with each star capture. If your boost meter is full you get a small amount of bonus points (500) for getting each star.
  • I've integrated my sound and music code, but haven't populated it with any data other than me saying "bonk" if you hit something hard. Sorry if that's really annoying, I'll have real clips in shortly.
  • Added the most frequently requested features: Star Remaining count.
Of course, all of these changes have pretty much made the old high score tables worthless. The new scores will all be much much bigger. :)

4 comments:

  1. My high scores... gone! :P

    Looking forward to playing the newest release

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a "physics ceiling" like in FC where the physics stop applying. The boost can launch you above this ceiling, and therefore you never come down....
    You might want to heighten the walls on either side too, because you can jump over them.
    Still needs a pause button.
    I like the boost though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick question, what does "champ" on the high scores mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there is a physics ceiling - I didn't think it was reachable with the squid's full boost, but I may be wrong.

    The gap in the walls was intentional - I didn't want to box you in - but it's really easy to leap off screen now. I'm considering putting the walls up a bit higher.. but jumping off screen does result in a "game over" message :)

    The definition of "Champ" will be clarified once I put some time into the website, but it's basically "Play the game without restarting or skipping levels." The more levels you beat that way in sequence the higher you go.

    ReplyDelete