Thursday, April 9, 2009

A bit more Game-Like

I spent a big chunk of the evening trying to get a goal area built into the game, but I've failed. :( I'm having trouble wrapping my head around all the Sprite objects and exactly where I need to put things to make them work. I'll figure it out eventually.

I've hacked together a bit more of an interface and tuned the level a little bit more. Here's the lowdown:
  • Avoid touching anything. Squids are very delicate and they don't like brushing up against planets or the edges! Sometimes they will be forgiving but usually it will end your game.
  • Propel yourself around with the mouse. Draw vectors - the longer the line, the more oomf! You don't have unlimited power, though. It costs you Ink Bottles to move, so use them wisely!
  • Build up your Cuteness by surviving for a long time! The longer you last, the faster your Cuteness accumulaes. You will also get bonus cuteness for using your ink bottles - the bonus is greater the later you use them!
  • As time wears on, your squid will get more and more popular with his buddies! See how many friends you can accumulate. This accumulation is linear.
  • If you lose a limb in a crash, you might make enemies instead of friends :(
I'm sure you'll quickly realize that proper usage of your ink bottles to attain the longest standing orbit is the call of the day. Try your hand at getting a top score!

When I get the goal areas in, they will "open up" at a certain cuteness level. Surviving throughout the level then making it to the goal area will be the main challenge. Soon!

Oh, and I also added a few light-duty motors to the squid tentacles. They wave back and forth a teensy bit now, just to destabilize your orbits. :)


Special thanks to Aubrey for the scoring formulas (I learned logs today!), and thanks to OfficiallyHaphazard for helping with Cosines for the tentacle waving!

No comments:

Post a Comment