Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Nirvana for the Content

At the pub tonight I had enough beers that would normally place me firmly in the grips of "drunk." However, the quantity of food I devoured (well over average) counter-acted the results and placed me in the ultimate perspective of contentedness.

I did not feel dizzy or lightheaded; I did not feel any lack of judgement; I did not feel any dampening of my motor functions; I did not slur my speech. In fact, if I woke up feeling this way I would have no problem getting behind the wheel of a car. If it were for not one little side effect.

Everything we glance at, we analyze - we spot a painting, we note it's size and shape. We spot a bottle and we note in our head that is it brown and contains beer. We glance at people and silently assign names or pointers in a split second of scanning recognition. 

And I had lost all of these abilities.

I scanned the pub, the crowd, the things on my table, and I just saw shapes. The only things that concerned me where that who I was talking to and the pint in my hand. I had lost any ability to care for or note my surroundings.

The experience was in full force for around 10-15 minutes but quickly began tapering off to normality. I was really quite pleased with the experience and hope to have it again sometime!

Needless to say I did not touch the squids today. I am completely content with their progress from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment