Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Eureka!

Well I set aside two hours tonight to do a bit of an experiment.

How's this for a radical build. Number 27!
  • Water. You are still a space squid - there's stars and you are in a gigantic outer space fish tank.
  • Time/Score pressure is gone now. Take all the time you need - the game gets hard enough on it's own without this extra source.
  • Fun times.
I was thinking to myself, "if only there was some way to dampen the rotation force, like... that mushy feeling you get in water." Presto chango, water it is. And it worked very very well.

I am quite confident these same controls in this new medium is going to make gameplay that much better for everyone.

I really think this is it - this is going to end up being my first game. Heck it's fairly game-y as it is - just have to add some polish and shine to this bad boy and I've got a market!..

Then again, I'm posting his at 2:30AM and maybe I'm just a bit too excited about the new build.

4 comments:

  1. Eh...I did like the old animation of the squid. It looks a tad cartoony now.
    This new build almost reminds me of Dolphin Olympics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the new graphics! The squid is a great little character.

    It appears that you can eat stars with either your mouth or feet but not your legs/knees or the top of your head. It took me a long time to figure all that out.

    It may help the difficulty rampup to limit the distance above the water that a star can appear to be some function of the number of stars already eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Afronanny: It's supposed to look redonkulously cute, something I'm not quite achieving with these graphics. :) I'll work something out eventually, I was really just trying to get the framework in place for my own graphic set.

    If you add your own graphics on too late it becomes a royal pain in the neck to do so. :/

    @Rob: Now that gameplay is solidifying I put some instructions on the front page. Hopefully more clear now! I also implemented your stars-rise-in-height-with-levels idea in build 28. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also re: Dolphin Olympics - just Googled that game. It is somewhat similar, in that there is water and air above it.. but it doesn't appear they have a real physics engine behind that interface! I like to think the primary charm of my game is dealing with the physics and how the squid reacts to it. The "overall game design" is just the fluff. :)

    ReplyDelete