Saturday, April 25, 2009

Space Squid Sports a Shiny Site

I have a super amazing build (number 43) and it totally would have blown your socks of if only Aubrey didn't launch the new website!

Check out the official Space Squid website here and bask in its glory. You can actually play the game ON THE PAGE!! wew!

The high score section of the site still needs a lot of work but the fundamentals are there for you to enjoy.

Hohum improvements to the game include:
  • Giving you score stats inside the GameOver/Victory box at the end of each round. I think this actually adds a lot of depth to the game.
  • Some minor graphical improvements (making fonts more legible mainly)
  • A new instructions page with some details on the "world" scoring mechanism
  • Made the endgame boxes interactable with the squid again (and slightly smaller)
  • A bunch of small tweaks here and there that don't affect gameplay (and thus the highscores)
Things to do:
  • Figure out how to save the username/world in a cookie so you don't have to type it every time
  • Get my domain-lock security in place. It worked once, just have to get it working again...
  • Solve the damned "have to click twice" game-loses-focus bug. I posted a help request for it at StackOverflow.com, if you want to help me out you can earn some karma points. :)
  • A loading page! The game is 182Kb and it takes a while to load now.
5 days left on the clock! It always seems like I'll have plenty of time but then I go two days without doing anything, so I really want to press on for this last little bit. Elbow grease and polish!

3 comments:

  1. For saving the username and world, check out the SharedObject class from the standard library (there are a few examples on that page).

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the “have to click twice” issue, I've found that setting the keyboard event listener on the root sprite doesn't work as well as if you set it on the 'stage' object. Instead of addEventListener(KeyboardEvent...) call stage.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent...). I don't know if this is the same issue you're having but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amit: I had the sharedObjects implemented and they weren't working for some reason. Turns out it was just a typo. :( Works now!

    As for the event listener... I tried making the background image my sprite, and assigned the eventlistener to it (bg.stage.addEventlistener). Just to test things out I also took my root (this.stage.addEventlistener in my main class) and it's having the same two-clicks-required effect. It's quite frustrating.

    ReplyDelete